LEARN IGBO | TIPS TO TEACH YOUR CHILD
Igbo is the language Igboland a great ancient kingdom in West Africa, dominating a portion of modern day Nigeria. There are still many Igbo royals today. If your'e here its probably because you cant to teach your child the Igbo language a cornerstone of Igbo culture.
TIPS FOR TEACHING YOUR CHILD IGBO IF YOU ARE LEARNING WITH THEM
1) Choose a time of day to speak your target language
I like starting the day in Igbo. By greeting my daughter in the morning, when she first wakes up in her target language it strengthens her Polyglot Tot muscles. It also helps to reinforce my knowledge.
a) Good Morning!
b) How did you sleep?
c) Let's brush our teeth
2) Pick a common phrase to only say in Igbo. You say the phrase so often, your child will pick it up in no time, it will also familiarize the both of you with proper pronunciation.
a) "I love you"
b) "thank you"
c) "take that out of your mouth, please."
3) Translate the world around you
TIPS FOR TEACHING YOUR CHILD TO SPEAK HAUSA IF YOU ARE A NATIVE IGBO SPEAKER
1) Encourage your child to respond to simple requests/ phrases such as
(What will you eat?) (I will eat ẹba with callaloo/spinach)
2)Tell them jokes or make them laugh
RESOURCES TO TEACH YOUR CHILD IGBO
1) Bilingual English Igbo children's Books
2) Igbo Coloring books
3) Igbo language Cartoons
4) Igbo language Sing Along Songs
I hope you find these tips helpful. Please do share if you have any tips of your own. What steps have you taken in teaching your children Igbo? I’d love to hear from you.